Monday, February 02, 2009

Printing double pages on Shutterfly

Thank you for your loveliest comments on my latest templates and layouts, you're unbelievably nice, thank you!
Now there was a very good question about whether I made any adjustments for printing my double pages on shutterfly. And I'm going to share with you as best as I can, what I did.
Firstly, it is important that anyone who prints at Shutterfly downloads their printing guide here. The first time I printed a double page, I did not know about the "trim" they do and the result was that the edges and centre were a bit cut off. See this post here
So the next time I was printing double pages, which was the US book you all saw here, I tried out adjustments on some pages, like experimenting!
Well, for pages like these two, where there was nothing important in the middle, nor at the edges, I did not make any adjustments, simply "cut" the layout right down the middle, saved the left and right sides and loaded them up to shutterfly:

Below you see how they turned out:

But for these two layouts, where I had titles down the centre, I made an adjustment when I saved the left and right sides, such that there would be an extra overlap of 3/8ths of an inch. Let me try to explain:
This is the layout with the line showing the exact centre of the 12x24 layout at the 12 inch point. I saved the 12x12 right side of the layout as it is with the cut off at the 12 inch point (cutting through the right side of the H)
But when I was saving the 12x12 left side of the layout, I pushed the layout to the left by 3/8ths of an inch, such that the left side had the centre cut off point shifted to the right (down the middle of the T)
Below is what the left side and right sides (which I loaded up to shutterfly) looked like. Notice the portion of overlap in the middle for the left and right sides. I figured when shutterfly cut off a bit of the left middle, and of the right middle, it would join up nicely. Well, lucky for me, they pretty much did.

This is another page which I tried the 3/8ths of an inch overlap down the left and right sides:

They turned out great too!


However, I must show you the Ground Zero page - there is just the slightest off-alignment of my journaling that went diagonally across the page - on hindsight, I should have split the journaling into two halves in two separate text boxes on the left and right sides. That's a bit tricky too. Well, you probably don't want to try journaling this way unless you're a die-hard double pager like me!:p
Hope all this helped!

24 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! This is a big help. It's a bit scary to do all the work to make a book then pay all the money for it when you're just crossing your fingers and hoping it turns out all right. This will give a lot of us the confidence to get our work printed in a book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing! I'm a double page scrapper (for my month in review pages). Do you do your original double page spread as a 12x24 and then do the cropping for printing? I have yet to do it in a book and plan to eventually. Right now I am just scrapping and saving on the computer. I'm a bit behind...sigh. Thank you for sharing your talent. Hugs. ckm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! What a fabulous answer to my question. I will definitely give this a shot - I have never tried this, but I love how it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for sharing! I use Shutterfly, but am new to digi-scrapping, so this will come in very handy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been brave enough to try this yet -- but it's on my List Of Things To Do. When I do get to it, I will be following in your footsteps. Thanks SO much for taking the time to explain clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to drop you a note to tell you that I love your templates!! I find them very inspiring. We take lots of pictures, so I need templates with space for lots of photos. Yours are just perfect for me, and finding them got me out of the rut I've been in! Thanks so much! Keep up the great work! (And I love all of your helpful tips, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with us. Even if I don't use Shutterfly it gave me great ideas.
    /anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love your templates! I take lots of pics and believe they are so important in telling the story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain AND to post photos to show us what you did! I LOVE your templates and I'm doing a big book from this past summer in Florida. I'm debating between a Shutterfly book or traditional scrapbook pages in a page protecters. I'm leaning toward the Shutterfly book now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://mylittlesunshinegirls.blogspot.com/2008/10/traveling-around-world.html

    Here are a few of the pages I've done so far with your double templates....thought you might like to see them! I need to work on my journaling but for now I let the pictures tell the story, after all, a picture's worth a thousand words!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing all those wonderful templates! I've just started to get into digital scrapbooking (& using PSE 6). I finally figured out what to do with a template! Hooray! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I looked at your store and I LOVE your templates! I couldn't find any terms of use anywhere. Do you allow your templates to be used in scrap-for-others projects?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for the templates, as well as the step by step info re: photobooks. I appreciate you taking the guess work out of it! Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  14. AnonymousMay 21, 2009

    I think I found a better way, an easier way. I've uploaded my 24x12 page into Shutterfly and simply add the picture once in the left page and reposition the image to the left. Then added the picture to the right page and reposition it to the right. It seems to be working fine. I'll let you know how it turned out when I'll receive it.
    Melanie (kollargole)

    ReplyDelete
  15. AnonymousMay 27, 2009

    Thank you for posting such great illustrations of how the two page spread gets cropped, and how much to adjust. I'm doing my first book with Shutterfly, and this is so helpful. I love your layout ideas too. Thanks for helping me get started with a little more confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you rock! Thanks for all these tips.... I don't plan on using Shutterfly right now (but who knows??), but I am really enjoying reading all your stuff. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Since this is an older post I hope you see this. I don't have a blog so not sure how you are made aware of comments to older posts.

    I wanted to say thank you so much for sharing your albums and how you set up the pages to print at Shutterfly. What an enormous help this will be. I actually saved all your info to a word doc. so I can refer to it if I decide to print there. Hope that's okay.

    THANK YOU again, Yin, and your albums are lovely.

    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a die hard double pager like you and I really appreciate your tip on getting these printed right on shutterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for all the wonderful advice and template designs. I am relatively new to digital scrapbooking and am becoming addicted. Having a six month old and an itchy camera finger can make one have lots of material for scrapping:-)

    Using Shutterfly is a great idea. I had priced having a 12x12 sheet printed and it was quoted at $12.99 per sheet. I could not afford that but using Shutterfly cuts the expense greatly. Thanks so much again for all the tips and the way that you share not only your knowledge but your life and talent.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now that Shutterfly lets you use one photo as a spread, have you tried just letting them position it to match? It seems like they are doing mostly the same thing, but I'm wondering if they will give enough overlap for words? Not having to do all this myself would be great (not to mention uploading 1/2 as many files) but I'm nervous to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Olivia,
    Thanks for the update, I did not know that! Will have to try it out, maybe with a mini album first. I'm just starting on my Beijing album so the next major printing will be months away, haha! Will post if I get to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yin - were you able to try ordering the double page in shutterfly's current software? most of my pages are DPs and i am ordering for the first time - i didnt know the complications involved therefore am freaking out here! i need to order soon so would really help if you could reply soon!

      Delete
    2. Hi Pallavi, I have been doing double pages the same way, by cropping them up. Have not tried the new double page upload feature in Shutterfly yet though! Would you like to email me at yindgs at yahoo dot com dot sg if you have questions?

      Delete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...